Tuesday, March 22, 2005

A Tale of Two Siblings

So my brother Paul came to visit for 10 days.

Paul is 11 months older than I am. Actually for about 16 days we are the same age, a fact that really bugged him when we were kids (that and the height thing). His birthday is on December 21st and mine is on December 5th. I’ll give those of you who care a minute to figure this out…

He is an actor.

Whenever I say this people always ask me if he’s a working actor, so I’ll elaborate. He’s a real actor. He’s done several national commercials, a few notable plays and a pretty darn good movie that was already sold for distribution. He has a naked butt scene in the film; which was kind of funny to watch.

Oh yeah, he also played Brad in the Rocky Horror Picture Show. That was another night of family fun – mom and I taking in Paul’s love scene with the sweet transvestite, grunts and all. If you knew my mom you would know that I felt more awkward than she did. God, I love my family.

He’s hasn’t stopped working since he took acting on full time two years ago. As you can imagine we are all very proud of him. I’m convinced he’s going to top the A-list one day. In fact, I’m certain of it. I’m his sister and that makes me a completely biased source, but I can see he’s got talent.

More than talent though, he has that special ingredient every successful actor needs. He’s self involved. I hope he doesn't get offended by this, but it's true. I’m sure Tom Cruise was like this too.

When we were little he used to watch Animal Kingdom (the 70’s version) and disappear into his own little world for hours. I would be talking to him and it was like he didn’t even hear me. He was completely cut off from the outside world. It always amazed me. Even back then I knew he had a gift.

It may sound like I’m being sarcastic but I really believe this will be an important ingredient in his success. Singleness of focus is a must in the entertainment industry. The ones who make it make their career their number one priority (and families back them up.)

Anyway back to the visit…

He didn’t like New York very much, I could tell. How could I tell? My mom told me he said he didn’t like New York very much.

He liked the city and the theater scene, but the weather was bringing him down. It didn’t help that he came during one of the colder weeks of the season. It hasn't been easier for me either as we all know.

During his visit we did get to spend some really good time together though. We feasted in Chinatown and took in the Museum of Natural History. Then I got round 3 of the New York mega flu and the outings came to a halt.

For some reason he’s one of the few relatives I can talk to about my interesting dating patterns without getting defensive or moody. I think it’s because he doesn’t worry about me. He knows I’m quirky but has faith that I’ll find my way.

Or maybe he’s just not paying attention? Could it be that he was off in his own little world and he didn't hear me when I told him I was stuck in a pattern of commitment-less encounters?

Hmmm? Naw.

Anyway, during work on his last movie the producer/director came to the end of the film and did not have an ending.

Paul called me and asked me to write the ending, which I happily did.

I finally got to see the finished product during his visit and I have to say it turned out pretty well.

I'm a highly self critical writer and apparently my brother knows me well.

After we watched the film he said:

“Your ending and your writing literally elevated the caliber of this movie Damar.”

It was one of the nicest things my brother ever said to me (aside from telling me that his friends say I'm hot).

It was great having you here Paul.

Tinsel Town beckons…

No comments: