Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Strangers in the Night

An entry about a little organization that has taken my New York experience to new heights...

Here's a realization I had recently: moving to a new city in your 30's is hard.

My high school friends are back in Miami and most of my friends from college are settled, as in married and nesting.

Meeting and making friends after those school years are over is a whole different ballgame.

I'm not looking for the let's be on the phone 24 hours a day friend, just a few nice buddies I can have a beer with, watch a flick with or try the newest restaurant with.

My best going out buddy here was The Usual Suspect and we all know what happened to that friendship.

Here's a realization I just had: a sudden move to New York City alone during the winter is not something I'd recommend. The weather makes it harder to get out there.

But I did it and it was done.

I'm glad to say those first months are behind me.

Now spring has sprung. A time for new beginnings.

One of my new beginnings involved giving Netflix a rest and meeting up with a random group of strangers I met through Meetup.com.

You can click on Strangers in the Night up top to go directly to the website.

The first Meet Up Group I attended was the Latinos Doing Something With Themselves Meet Up. We went to NYU to see a kooky film about Juan Rulfo, a well known Mexican writer.

I'm happy to say the Meet Up was a complete success. I met 5 interesting latinos and we totally hit it off.

After the film we had some sizzling small talk over drinks at the Fat Black Pussy Cat near Washington Square. Then the Queens sub-section of the Latino Group had crepes and coffee at another cool little bar - Shade Bar on Sullivan Street.

And now it gives me great pleasure to introduce you to the Latinos Doing Something With Themselves Group...

Jorge, a 43 year old Colombian from Barranquilla who teaches Psychology at NYU and also does therapy and hypnosis in private practice. You know I'm gonna get hypnotized before this year is through.

Stephanie, a 27 year old Ecuadorian-Irish Social Worker who works at a middle school. Ecuador and Ireland? Beer and dancing - a natural friend for me.

Berta the organizer, a 30 year old Mexican-American writer. Another writer? The bond was instant.

Eddie, a 27 year old Mexican American paralegal who doesn't know if he wants to be a lawyer or a politician. Either way he's good looking and will eventually be loaded. Welcome.

Christina, a 27 year old Puerto Rican-American who teaches kindergarten and mentors young latinas. She encouraged us all to mentor a latin student - heart of gold. Love 'er.

And me, a Cuban American transplant from Miami just trying to enjoy the journey.

In that first night we talked about our careers, love lives, disdain for marriage (especially since we are all single) and about things we would like to do as a group.

When someone in the group declared that monogamy was unnatural, I knew I was home. I love non-conformists.

Berta told us her mom recently passed and her boyfriend of several years recently left. She's the organizer ok? You thought you had a reason to stay home and be depressed, think about that?!

It'll be interesting to see how the group grows and changes and how our friendships evolve.

The Queens sub-section which is Me, Jorge and Stephanie went out for a movie Sunday night. We took in the new Woody Allen Flick, Melinda and Melinda. Remember how I said I just wanted a group of friends I could catch a movie with? Ahhhh... just what I needed after 4 frigid months in the city.

So if you're in a new place and want to hook up with some people who share your interests, I recommend Meet Up.

Don't stay home and watch the Apprentice, get TiVo and get out there.

Life beckons AND you never know who you might meet!