Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Escape from New York?

I moved from Miami to New York in the dead of winter.

If one more person asks me if I’m crazy, I’m going to scream.

The truth is, I was just kind of looking into the opportunity and before I knew it, I was on a plane.

I work for a national organization in my adult, day job and my friend Melissa who is convinced that New York is the mecca of singledom, sent me the listing.

My exact position was open in Manhattan. Couldn’t hurt to check it out, I thought. So I did. Little did I know my boss and “would be" boss were close friends.

In a matter of weeks I was packing up the contents of my comfy cubicle in Miami and clearing out of grandma’s crib.

Now I’m setting up my cube in Manhattan and settling into Astoria.

I went from Key Biscayne to Lexington Avenue.

Am I crazy? AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Initial impressions?

The Pace

Things here move really fast.

If you hesitate for an instant when paying for a meal or swiping your metro card, people want to dismember you. Have your card and your money ready and keep in step or endure laser beams of hatred.

When walking on the sidewalk, it’s best to keep a steady rhythm and walk with firm resolve. Again, hesitation is a clear invitation for scorn – especially in Times Square. Times Square is another article in and of itself.

Small talk in the check out line is not necessary in most places. The sheer volume of people going in and out of most establishments means no one cares about your recent relocation. A lot of people just moved here. Who cares? Mass transportation means minutes matter. Save the cute anecdotes for Florida people.

Umbrella Etiquette

Is completely unnecessary.

When it rains, the sidewalks are packed with umbrella toting walkers. Even though you’re sharing the limited space with a small army, don’t worry about hitting someone with the metal spokes of your umbrella. Hold your weapon firmly, keep moving and allow other people to worry about themselves. They will adjust. Thinking of others only complicates things for everyone.

Shoes

Invest in a comfortable pair of walking shoes and carry your work shoes in a tote from day one.

I made the mistake of getting all dressed up for my first day at the office. I was dying to wear my high heeled, knee high, Anne Klein black leather boots. Why was my new boss laughing at me?

By the end of the day, the three middle toes in my right foot had merged into one large mass of flesh. My big toe and pinky were laughing at the others, but the joke was on pinky because her nail fell off two days later. Fortunately, the pain subsided after about 5 hours when the bleeding stopped. Later I mustered the strength to stop into the local CVS for 4 boxes of band aids and a cutting instrument.

Walk ups

It seemed new and exciting when I came to see the apartment before I moved; now my 4 story walk up is an instrument of torture, psychological as well as physical.

As I look around the beautiful 1 bedroom digs with sparkling wood floors, I can’t help but think about the fact that everything in here was carried up by me. No wonder I lost 11 pounds.

The disturbing after thought is that anything else I plan to purchase has to be lugged up 4 flights by me; hence the sparse furnishings. I've gone from can I afford this to - do I want to carry this? What was that number for Fresh Direct again?

The Weather

A topic I could write about for hours...

Never mind that the lack of sunlight has drained the color from my entire body and now the only hues on my face are from acne blemishes that were formerly masked by my year-round Florida tan; there are treatments for that.

Never mind that I have had the flu 3 times this winter and the flu here is like an industrial sized, super aggressive flu that when combined with a 4 story walk up and two daily subway rides to and from work leaves you sapped of energy and completely bed-ridden; I like sleep.

Never mind it gets so cold, that by the time I reach my apartment in the evenings I have no feeling in my hands or feet; I don’t use them much after work anyway.

I have cabin fever!!

After living in South Florida for 20 years, a Northeast Winter is a hell of a shock.

Yes, the first snow was breathtaking. The hush that fell over the city as the flakes floated down was nothing short of poetic. The fluffy white mounds piling up in the park were beautiful. The kids playing outside and all of that crap…

But it’s still cold. I’m tired of wearing turtlenecks and boots every day. I’m tired of seeing black North Face coats on the subway. I’m tired of trying to find scarves that blend with my new yellowish-green complexion. I’m tired of pretending it’s not so bad.

When is it going to END? I want to be outside!!

Do I want to leave? No. I just want to be able to enjoy the city without freezing my ass off.

Hey wait a minute?

I just realized something.

I don’t regret moving. I just needed to vent about the cold and stop pretending I was ok with it.

Maybe I am a New Yorker after all?

I bitched and moaned about the city for an hour, but I still love it and want to stay... cool.